We’re having our SCBWI-MI fall conference this weekend. I’ve been to over a dozen live writing conferences in different states. I’ve also been co-chair of four of them. I’ve attended on-line writers conferences as well. After all this time and experience, I rather know what to expect. I should rather say, I ought to know by now what to expect. Here’s what I expect for this weekend.
* That I will greet old friends, and make bunches of new ones – all of us gathered by a shared interest and hope.
* That one of these writer friends will tell me: 1) if I put my sweater on tag-side out; or 2) if my shoes don’t match, from getting dressed in the dark; or 3) that before I slip away for a critique, to be sure I remove the spinach dangling from between my teeth or pumpkin smear on my cheek.
* That I remember to bring extra pens in case my favorite one runs out of ink. I also take a water bottle, a watch, and business cards, and sometimes even remember to hand out the cards.
* That I will have one manuscript (possibly more) polished enough to pitch.
* That when I practice my elevator pitches, I mentally delete each “um” and “well, then…” and “ya know?” and remember to keep such phrases deleted when my mouth lays a patch at the intersection of Conversation Street and Nervous Lane.
* That I take cash-only for book purchases v.s. my credit card, which doesn’t light up when I’ve exceeded our monthly food budget.
* That I don’t pass out when I come face-to-face with an editor or agent. First impressions count.
* That I will take away gobs of information for my personal writing craft improvement.
* That after an attending editor or agent asks for a partial or a full, I’ll be business-like-delighted, but not so elated-ecstatic-happy that I’ve forgotten where I parked my car.
Love your humor! See you next weekend.
See you on the weekend. Hope we get some time to talk. Wouldn’t it be nice to get a request for a partial or full?
Great stuff to share Sandy…in a way that made me smile…and laugh out loud. Have fun at the conference!! You too, Sharon.
Bestest wishes for an enlightening, wonderful time.
Love how you merged your great sense of humor with good solid info.
Have an amazing time.
Can’t wait to hear all about it