ONE LINE BIO: A former teacher, Sandy now writes historical fiction and fantasy for the 8-14 year old.
52-WORD BIO: Sandy Carlson was born in Michigan, lived in six other states, and is now back in Michigan. She is a former elementary teacher, a member of SCBWI, and a blogger. She’s published in magazines, ezines, newspapers, anthologies, and books (historical fiction and fantasy). Sandy now writes full time and speaks at schools, libraries, and bookstores.
AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY FOR KIDS:
Here is a picture of me, Sandy Carlson, in the second grade. In kindergarten, I told people my parents called Sandy because I ate sand. I was disappointed when I found out that wasn’t true.
I wasn’t a fast or good reader, but I loved making up stories and telling them to my siblings, cousins and friends — especially spooky stories inside OF dark-dark closets.
I became a teacher and learned to love reading. I loved books so much I even became an author! My favorite author is C.S. Lewis because he wrote for both kids and adults, and was very smart. Today I’m part of this world-wide writing organization called SCBWI — the Society for Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators.
I have climbed mountains, swum in oceans, and run down sand dunes. I’ve outrun wildfires, hid in a basement from a tornado, cleaned debris from a hurricane, outwalked the incoming tide at Fundy Bay, and survived our house getting smashed by 100 year old trees. I’ve ridden horses, been on cattle round-ups, avoided stepping on rattlesnakes, was charged by a wild boar, cleaned oil off of turtles from the largest inland oil spill in USA history, and know how to put a worm on a fish hook — although the first time it took me twenty minutes. Generally, I’d rather be outside than inside.
I have one husband (my very own hero) and two grown sons who are really cool, one awesome daughter-in-law, and an amazing grandchild.
We’ve had lots of pets in our various houses, but right now the only “pets” I have are our backyard animals – birds, black squirrels, rabbits, deer, raccoon, and lots of bugs.
What I like best is learning new things…and then sharing them them others, like you.
Sandy Carlson was born in Michigan and grew up in Ohio as the middle child. She graduated from Bowling Green State University (OH) in education and taught 1st, 2nd, and 5th grades, as well as special education (K-8) and literacy (K-3). She received her master’s degree in guidance and counseling from University of Wisconsin – Platteville, and following graduation married her hero, a Wisconsin boy, thinking she’d live in Wisconsin for the rest of her life. Six months later, they moved to Illinois. Later they moved to Iowa, then to New York, then South Dakota, and now back to Michigan. They have two grown sons who are also her heroes, and a cutie-patootie grandchild.
She was a camp counselor, Girl Scout Leader, a Youth Education Specialist for both a children’s garden and a natural history museum, and a children’s choir director. Today she writes, speaks, and tutors dyslexic kids.
Sandy is a long-time member of SCBWI. She’s been published in magazines, ezines, and newspapers, as well as two anthologies. She’s published three Michigan historical fictions for the 8-12 year old reader with more in the works, and fantasies for the 10-14 year old, again, with more to come.
She has gone on bison round-ups, outrun wildfires, hiked in deserts, climbed mountains, and swum in oceans. She now combines her love of teaching, writing, having adventures, and learning history to do school visits and a story-building writing workshop. She also speaks at writers conferences and other venues.
(Contact Sandy at: sandycarl642 at yahoo dot com)
BOOKS BY SANDY CARLSON (WITH FANTASIES UNDER THE NAME OF S.L. CARLSON):
The Town That Disappeared
Tales of the Lost Schooner
Stacks of Flapjacks
Star Opening (by S.L. Carlson)
War Unicorn (by S.L. Carlson)
The Treasured Powder Horn of Mackinac Island (by S.L. Carlson) – coming winter 2016
FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT SANDY:
- After years of piano lessons, I still wasn’t very good at it. But I loved singing. Since a piano is too big to carry around, I taught myself to play guitar to accompany my singing. Fa-la!
- In first grade, I held my dime Brownie dues in my mouth as I washed my hands. I accidentally swallowed it! My Brownie leader said she’d pay for me that week. I thought she was the most generous person in the world.
- I’ve been in forty-eight states, camping or backpacking in most. And, yes, I’ve been to Hawaii as one of the 48 states, but didn’t camp there. Can you guess the two states I haven’t been to (yet)?
- When I was the ancient age of 50, I took a motorcycle course and learned to ride one all over the twisty-hilly Black Hills of South Dakota.
- When I was a camp counselor one summer of high school, I rowed a boat filled with five year olds to a low part of the lake where tree stumps stuck out of the water. Grabbing hold of one of the grassy stump-islands, a very fat spider joined us in the boat. Not wanting to alarm the children, I quietly smashed it with one of the oars. I successfully killed the spider, but discovered it was pregnant—with about a million itty-bitty spiders who covered the boat and kids and me. I rowed back to shore in about 1/100th of the time it took to get to that spidery stump.
Website & Blog: www.sandycarlson.com
Amazon Central Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/sandycarlson
Pinterest boards: http://www.pinterest.com/authorsandycarl/
FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/sandycarl
The Town That Disappeared FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Singapore-Michigan/220487481423126
October 27-November 2 — Blog interview with Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz
September 16, 2014 — Blog Interview with Patti Richard: http://pattigail1.com/2014/09/16/introducing-sandy-carlson-childrens-author/
September 16, 2014 — Blog Interview with Helena Fairfax: http://helenafairfax.com/2014/09/16/good-to-meet-you-author-sandy-carlson/
September 4, 2014 — Book Announcement with Blogger Mary Waibel: http://waibelworld.blogspot.com/2014/09/war-unicorn-by-sl-carlson.html#comment-form
September 2, 1014 — Blog Interview, Sandy Carlson and S.L. Carlson: http://sandycarlson.com/2014/09/02/war-unicorn-tween-fantasy-by-s-l-carlson-release-date-today/
March 13, 2013 — Newspaper Interview with Battle Creek Enquirer, Battle Creek, MI
PHOTOS OF SANDY CARLSON: